The dimensions of the postage-due stamps were lessened when the Treasury Department assumed the manufacture of stamps state in 1894, and the color was deepened to deep claret, with smaller white numerals than had been used up to that time.
The two elliptical lines inclosing the numerals, and between which the words “Postage due”, the letters “U.S.”, and the denomination were written in words, entirely disappearing on the lower half of the new stamp.
The words “Postage due” remained in a similar position as on the original stamp, but the words of denomination described a double curved line at the bottom (as in the current regular issue below the 10-cent denomination). The initials “U” and “S” were moved to the left and right upper corners, respectively, and the tablet bearing the white fissure of the denomination is a four equi-sided scalloped figure of lathe work, with the greatest diameters vertical and horizontal. The exact dates of the introduction and the first use of watermarked paper in their manufacture are as follows:
The old stamps were 1 by 25/32 of an inch in size. Their successors, mentioned above, are 7/8 by 23/32 of an inch.
Also, read more about 1738-1884 stamp
Published by John Jr. Paperly